Exam stress taking a toll on SA teens
Exam stress often takes a punishing toll on teens which may impact negatively on adulthood, according to a top doctor and homeopath.
Dr Erika Coertzen says calls to help lines usually spike during the school, college and university exam period when learners feel overwhelmed and don’t know who to talk to. She says this toll on leaners and the trauma they experience may impact negatively on future stressful situations.
“We know that distress calls from learners at all levels generally spike over the exam period when teens and young adults seek help for coping with exam stress and for depression, anxiety and trauma. Unless they learn to cope at this young age, they may battle with stressful situations as adults.
“They worry about how to study, about failing, about letting their family down and how are they going to cope on the day of the exam,” she says.
Coertzen says various helplines offer telephonic counseling and support, and share practical tips, including how to study, various learning methods, how to draft a timetable, exam tips, what to do on exam days and other coping skills.
In the UK, according to the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children), the number of young people seeking exam stress counselling has increased by 200% in recent years.
Coertzen says parents and family members should be vigilant during exam times and have an open line of communication. She says over-the-counter and homeopathic remedies such as Sedatif PC® may assist by providing symptomatic support for stress and anxiety. She says those dealing with stress should consult a medical professional if it becomes a pattern, and should consider the following tips:
– Draft a study plan well in advance
– Don’t be afraid to ask for help
– Don’t bottle up feelings, speak to a teacher, friend, parent or counsellor if overwhelmed
– Get enough sleep – at least eight hours a night.
– Be alert, listen to your body and exercise daily
– Take breaks between study sessions
– Seek relief from tried and tested remedies such as Sedatif PC or consult your doctor.
The homeopathic ingredients in Sedatif PC®, may also provide relief from the physical discomforts associated with anxiety such as indigestion, dyspepsia and abdominal cramps. Sedatif PC® is available at leading pharmacies and health shops countrywide.
Visit www.lebron.co.za and find Sedatif PC® on Facebook and Twitter.
– For images of Dr Coertzen and Sedatif PC®, see here.
– For interviews with Dr Erika Coertzen, contact Farah Manuel or Craig Doonan on +27 21 785-3683.