Saffron may boost libido, ease depression – studies
The ancient spice, Saffron, may help boost libido, alleviate depression and enhance mood, studies show.
Aphrodisiac claims for saffron have been made for centuries and are backed by a host of research including a study by the University of Guelph in Canada which found that men who took 200mg of saffron a day for 10 days reported improved erectile function and sexual satisfaction.
Numerous other studies have found that saffron may help relieve sexual dysfunction and improve erectile function. Additionally, Saffron, found in food supplement Felix, is increasingly being used to help ease depression, enhance mood and boost overall health.
It is estimated that one in 10 men experience sexual problems such as erectile dysfunction (ED) or premature ejaculation and one study found that one in four men seeking help for ED are under 40. Nearly half of these men had severe ED.
Another study found that saffron helped anti-depressant-induced male sexual dysfunction by promoting erectile function and intercourse satisfaction. Loss of sex drive, failure to orgasm and erectile dysfunction plagues over half of anti-depressant users. Symptoms are often underestimated and may persist indefinitely after medication has been discontinued.
Health and wellness expert, Vanessa Ascencao, says low libido in men may also be linked to stress, anxiety or drug and alcohol use and other medications such as statins. She adds that erectile function is a marker for overall cardiovascular function.
Ascencao says supplementing with Felix, which contains clinically proven saffron, may assist in boosting sexual health while improving mood. “Saffron, found in Felix, has traditionally been used as a medicine and modern science has confirmed its ability to help enhance mood and boost libido.”
Ascencao suggests the following tips to help improve sexual health and mood:
• Stop smoking and reduce alcohol intake
• Go for a medical check-up and test for diabetes and testosterone
• Drink lots of clean, purified water
• Avoid refined sugar, processed food and “fast food”
• Get lots of regular exercise and have fun doing it
• Manage stress better and get eight hours of sleep a night
• Eat a balanced, healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and try healthy libido-enhancing foods such as avos, almonds, strawberries, oily fish, arugula, figs and citrus fruits like grape fruit, oranges and lemons
Felix is available in South Africa at leading health stores, pharmacies and Dis-Chem.