Detox daily to avoid unhealthy annual purge
Eating a well-balanced, nutrition-rich diet consistently and pursuing a healthy lifestyle will eliminate the need to detox or purge after the holidays, according to a leading nutritional expert.
Vanessa Ascencao says consistent healthy eating will also lead to weight loss which will in turn help counter diabetes, heart disease and various other illnesses.
“At the start of the year there’s a lot of talk about detoxing after over-indulging in the holidays. This binge-purge process is unhealthy on many levels and is unhelpful for weight management. Detoxing in this way awakens toxins in our system which may lead to unpleasant side effects.
“Instead, follow a lifestyle of constant daily detox through healthy eating and living. In this way you’ll boost your immune system, your body will continually expel toxins and you should lose weight and stay lean naturally,” she added.
Ascencao said various studies show that healthy eating and resultant natural weight loss may reverse or lower diabetes and counter heart disease. Research also shows that consistent weight loss from healthy eating is far better than fluctuating weight loss from fad, detox or crash diets.
Try Ascencao’s 10 step guide to healthy living:
- Develop a nutritious eating plan focussed on natural, whole food, including lots of vegetables (especially greens), fruit and some lean protein. Consult a nutritional expert if you need help.
- Avoid sugar, alcohol, coffee, refined and processed foods. These contribute to inflammation, diabetes and disease. Cutting them out will lead to natural weight loss and a stronger immune system.
- Try to eliminate dairy. Humans don’t have the enzymes to digest the lactose (a sugar present in milk). Dairy also promotes the formation of mucous and acid to which most of us are allergic or intolerant.
- Sweat more, daily. Try yoga, brisk walking, cycling or swimming.
- Stay hydrated and ditch fizzy drinks which sap B vitamins. Drink lots of filtered water.
- Chew food well and eat slowly. This extracts nutrients better and counters overeating.
- Choose best quality supplements such as one of the world’s most potent, superfood green tea extract, Origine 8, which helps detoxify and aids weight loss.
- Counter inflammation – the cause of most disease – by using powerful turmeric extract, Bio-Curcumin. Take probiotics for gut health and try bitter greens such as dandelion, milk thistle and parsley to assist the kidneys, colon and liver in detoxification.
- Choose organic produce and eco-friendly hygiene and cleaning products to eliminate chemicals.
- Address addictions and character defects, limit screen time and manage stress. Try Felix, an extract of saffron, which is a scientifically proven natural anti-depressant.