Fight disease, live longer with a polyphenol-rich diet
Powerful plant-based compounds called polyphenols — found in superfoods such as green tea and in the Mediterranean diet – may protect against heart diseases, diabetes, cancers and help prolong life, according to extensive research.
Polyphenols are found in green tea, fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, herbs, olive oil, omega 3 fats, dark chocolate and turmeric and are believed to be behind the incredible success of the Mediterranean diet, shown to promote longevity, good health and weight loss.
A wealth of research presented in a recent report outlines the longevity benefits of polyphenols, including their impact on helping strengthen immunity and lowering the risks of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and inflammation. A recent Italian study found a polyphenol-rich diet was associated with “reduced mortality risk”.
A report published by the National Centre for Biotechnology Information notes that studies “strongly suggest that long term consumption of diets rich in plant polyphenols offer protection against development of cancers, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, osteoporosis and neurodegenerative diseases,”
But, not everyone ingests enough polyphenols. Research shows that 87% of Americans don’t consume the recommended intake of vegetables,76% fall short on fruit intake — highlighting the need for improved diet and supplementation.
Health expert Vanessa Ascencao says in addition to a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, supplementing with a potent green tea extract such as polyphenol-rich Origine 8 may help defend against disease such as cardiovascular disease, depression and cognitive decline. She says studies show green tea may also help lower blood sugar levels, reduce unhealthy cravings and help fight cancer.
“Origine 8 is packed with polyphenols and is the most powerful and bioavailable green tea extract available. One daily capsule offers the health benefits of up to 25 cups of green tea,” she said.
Ascencao suggests the following tips for improved health:
- Eat lots of polyphenol-rich food such as fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
- Eat fresh and organic food where possible.
- Supplement with potent green tea extract Origine 8 which offers 12 times greater absorption than other extracts and remains active in the body for 24 hours.
- Increase intake of virgin olive oil and good fats such as coconut oil, nuts and seeds.
- Avoid foods high in sugar, processed and deep-fried food as they counter the anti-oxidant process.
- Add spices such as thyme and turmeric to meals or choose a potent turmeric extract supplement.
- Increase daily probiotic intake.
- Have dark chocolate in moderation.
- Exercise daily, avoid excessive stress and aim for eight hours of sleep a night.
Origine 8 is available nationally at leading health stores, pharmacies and Dis-Chem.